Monday, March 31, 2014

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, 
No Good, Very Bad Day 
by Judith Viorst



Why we liked this book: EVERYONE has a bad day once in awhile no matter where or who you are.

Activity: Write your very own "bad day" book.  My kids thought this was so fun!  They drew all the pictures and then I helped them with the writing as they explained to me what they had drawn.


1) First we made the cover.  I just googled images of characters that looked like they were having a bad day.  This one looked the most like my daughter so we picked this one.
Grumpy Girl
Grumpy Boy (you can color this one however you want)
Grumpy Girl 2 (you can also color this one however you want)

2) Next we added the pages.  Have kids pick three things that might mean they are having a bad day.  One thing for the morning, afternoon and night time.  After each "bad day" page I had them come up with how they could have acted to make it a "good day".  Example: instead of doing....I could have done...

3) The last page I had them pick their favorite place they like to go to (my daughter picked Wisconsin) and wrote "some days are like that even in Wisconsin".  They loved making their own books and were so proud of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment